Patients who need to relieve muscle spasms go to medical institutions quite often. Almost always, they receive medication in the form of muscle relaxants, which, when ingested, help to relax the skeletal muscle muscles.
These medicines are widely used, are highly popular in surgical operations, to relieve or eliminate seizures. They alleviate the painful condition of a patient suffering from osteochondrosis attacks.
Muscle spasm is a painful condition that occurs when muscles contract involuntarily
This condition is not considered a disease, but it is often accompanied by unpleasant consequences that need to be diagnosed and treated in a timely manner.
The editors of the site "best-en.designuspro.com" have prepared an overview of the best muscle relaxants. Your attention will be provided with medications that have a positive effect on the body and help relieve pain.
Cause of seizures
A spasm is usually understood as a painful condition of a muscle that has been in tension for a long time and has not had periodic relaxation.
Spasms include clonic contractions, in which contractions in the form of constant jerks are interspersed with periods of muscular resting states. This type of spasm is called a seizure.
Most of all, patients suffer from painful spasms in the back or neck, the localization of which has multiple negative consequences. An important property of muscles is their contraction or relaxation.
The reasons for muscle contractions are divided into the following categories:
Contraction appears as a reaction of the body to the resulting damage to the bone skeleton. They can become very tense after a fracture, and when the bone has already been fused, they often remain in the same, painful state.
There are also cases when, as a result of osteochondrosis, after a microtrauma, muscle tissue remains in a tense state. Seizures can appear after a birth injury.
Very often, due to excessive loads, improper training regimen, poorly balanced nutrition, athletes have the same problem.
The mechanism of spasmodic tensions is the same - due to trauma, the patient feels pain, to which the body responds with involuntary muscle tension. In medicine, this is called trigger syndrome.
2. Long static stress.
Muscle cramps can be the result of prolonged exertion. It happens that they are poorly perceptible, but at the same time they cause an unpleasant reaction of the body.
Basically, this reaction is provoked by improper body positions during work or study, when the load is unevenly distributed. A striking example of a spasmodic syndrome is a bad habit associated with the constant carrying of heavy bags on the same shoulder. With such uneven loads, the body gets used to them for a long time.However, at a certain time spasms occur, which are difficult to remove at home, and you have to seek the help of a medical specialist.
3. Stressful situations.
Under stress, a protective reaction occurs in the body, associated with an accelerated heartbeat, intense production of hormones, and muscle tension. Once the causes of stress have been removed, muscles rarely return to rest. As a result, pain or other signs of muscle cramps may appear.
4. Other reasons.
In addition to these situations, a spasm may occur due to a lack of the required amount of fluid or necessary trace elements in the body.
Factors of occurrence
The main factors provoking the onset of spasmodic disorders are:
- sedentary lifestyle, when the main part of the working time is spent in the office in a seated position;
- lack of minimal physical activity (morning exercises, jogging, walking, fitness);
- chronic disorders of posture (at school at the desk, in the office at the table);
- finding the cervical vertebrae for a long time in an unnatural position (when working with a computer, watching television, reading books);
- gymnastic exercises performed incorrectly during training;
- increasing the load on certain muscle groups during training;
- pinched nerve endings;
- an inflammatory process that occurs in the spine;
- insufficient amount of B vitamins;
- the appearance of infectious diseases;
- prolonged exposure to cold conditions;
- neuroses, osteochondrosis;
- poor nutrition with an insufficient amount of vitamins, micro and macronutrients, which lead to a deteriorated condition of muscle tissue, bones, ligaments.
The symptoms of spasmodic contractions are as follows:
- the appearance of compaction, "iron" muscles;
- convulsive manifestations, painful tingling;
- active twitching of the cervical vertebrae;
- stiffness and heaviness of the forearm;
- the inability to tilt the head and body in different directions;
- completely restricted movement;
- swelling of the hands in the morning;
- shortness of breath when moving;
- dyspnea at rest;
- the presence of a "coma" in the larynx;
- drowsiness, weakness.
How to eliminate muscle spasms
There are several methods for relieving pain and cramps. Let's consider the most important ones.
For effective treatment of pain syndrome, there are medications that the doctor prescribes when prescribing treatment, such as:
- Pain relieving gels, ointments:
- Dolgtit - ointment with anti-inflammatory, cooling effect;
- Capsicam is a warming preparation with red pepper extract;
- Ibuprofen - pain relief gel;
- Thioflex - to eliminate the spasmodic state of the muscles;
- Motrin - has a complex effect on pain points.
2. Tablet means:
- Spazmalgon - analgesic, reduces pain;
- Tizalud - reduces tone and muscle resistance during movement;
- Mydocalm - eliminates the inflammatory process, relieves spasm;
- Nise - localizes the inflammatory process.
3. Injection pain relief with complex effects:
- Mitostad Kombi is used for limb diseases;
- Tolperisone is used to reduce muscle tone and pain;
- Muskomed is used for short-term reduction of acute pain syndrome;
- Baclofen reduces muscle spasm relaxation.
The use of all methods of treatment is necessarily monitored by a doctor.
In addition to drugs, there are physiotherapeutic methods for improving the patient's condition, which are prescribed in parallel with drug treatment.
- Electrophoresis. Physiotherapy procedure associated with the impact of low frequency electrical impulses on certain parts of the body.
- Balneotherapy. Hydromassage treatment with hot water saturated with various mineral salts.
- Magnetotherapy.A complex method using magnetic fields as therapeutic procedures. It is carried out using special stationary or portable devices equipped with emitters.
- Acupuncture. The impact of thin needles on certain points of the body.
- Laser therapy. Impact on the foci of inflammation with low-intensity light laser beams.
- Massage. Massaging the muscles of the neck and shoulder to relieve the spasmodic effect and stimulate blood flow to the deformed parts of the vertebrae.
What is a muscle relaxant
A group of drugs used in resuscitation and anesthesiology for myoplegia is called muscle relaxants
Specific medications used to effectively relax muscle tissue during therapeutic treatment belong to the group of muscle relaxants. They have a positive effect on nerve endings, preventing arising nerve impulses, prevent their transmission to muscle tissue, and improve local tone.
They are classified according to their chemical composition, since the synthesis comes from different groups. They have analgesic properties, have no effect on the heart and blood vessels, respiratory tract.
The muscle relaxant relaxes the muscle, which stops contracting due to the transmission of a nerve impulse through the blocking of special receptors. These drugs do not cause paralysis and can be used as a local anesthetic. Only patients with high hypersensitivity can be contraindicated for use.
A side effect of the drug can be apathy, drowsiness, decreased performance, nausea, sluggishness, headaches and seizures.
Relaxing drugs are prescribed for patients with a nervous disorder and a concomitant increase in skeletal muscle tone, after stroke muscle spasms, brain or spinal cord injuries. They are very effective for blepharospasm and spastic torticollis, during abdominal surgery.
They are released in solid form - tablets, liquid - ampoules and solutions.
Rating of the best drugs for relieving spasms
Muscle relaxants are medicines that help to reduce the tone of skeletal muscles.
When they are introduced into the human body, neuromuscular impulses are blocked and the striated muscles relax
Muscle relaxants are of two types: central and peripheral drugs. They have indications for use during muscle spasms of different parts of the musculature; they are used in modern treatment methods to relax muscles.
Muscle relaxants have a sedative, analgesic effect, reduce muscle spasms, and inhibit spinal reflexes.
Consider the medicinal products of the best pharmaceutical companies. Let's point out useful properties and necessary restrictions in their application. Let us explain what to look for so that there is no mistake when choosing a drug or its analogue.
A muscle relaxant with a central action from the manufacturer Polpharma (Poland), reduces excitation at the terminal part of the afferent fiber. It limits intermediate neurons, has a depressing effect during synaptic transmission of nerve impulses, reduces tension in muscle spindles. In diseases of a neurological profile (spasticity of the skeletal muscles), it relieves pain spasms and cramps. Increases the motor volume of the lower and upper extremities, helps in carrying out physical therapeutic exercises, massages, manual therapy.
The active ingredient is baclofen.
The drug is used for spastic conditions, neurological diseases: multiple sclerosis, spinal cord damage from injuries, emerging tumors, stroke, cerebrovascular diseases, meningitis, inflammation of the meninges, and head injuries.
The tablets are taken with meals. The dose is selected by the attending physician individually, starting with 5 mg, three times a day.Then an individual treatment regimen is applied, in which the patient's weight plays an important role.
The substance has side effects:
- drowsiness, weakness, dizziness is present;
- change in gait, lack of sleep, depression, euphoria;
- cardiac output decreases, blood pressure decreases;
- there is nausea and vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, abnormal liver function.
Myalgia, respiratory depression, visual impairment may be present.
The relaxant is produced in tablets of 10 mg in an amount of 50 pieces per pack.
The price is 267 rubles.
- enhancing the action of drugs that affect the central nervous system;
- compatible with antihypertensive drugs;
- enhances the decrease in muscle tone.
- causes an uncomfortable condition associated with drowsiness, dizziness, low blood pressure.
The medicine of the Russian company "Veropharm" Tizalud is a muscle relaxant of central action. Stimulates presynaptic adrenergic receptors, which leads to the cancellation of polysynaptic transmissions of excitation in the spinal cord, where skeletal muscle tone is regulated. It is effective in treating pain and muscle spasm - it sharply reduces pain and increases the range of motion of the limbs.
The active ingredient is tizanidine.
It is shown to be used for spastic conditions of skeletal muscles during diseases with multiple sclerosis, chronic myelopathy, strokes, degenerative diseases of the spinal cord. It is effective for reducing spasmodic pain caused by damage to the cervical and lumbar vertebrae, postoperative condition due to hernia or osteoarthritis of the hips.
Has side effects:
- with neuralgia - sleep disturbance, insomnia, hallucinations, dizziness, lethargy, drowsiness;
- with cardiac problems - bradycardia, lowering blood pressure;
- in gastroenterology - renal failure, hepatitis, nausea, dyspepsia;
- with traumatological diseases - muscle weakness.
To relieve pain from muscle cramps, 2 to 4 mg of the drug is taken three times a day. Only a doctor recommends specific doses for various diseases.
It has contraindications associated with sensitivity to the main substance of the drug. In case of impaired liver and kidney functions, the drug is used with great care.
Available in 4 mg tablets, three blisters of 10 per pack.
The price is 220 rubles.
- relief of painful muscle spasms;
- spasticity in neurological disorders;
- effective in the restoration of the skeletal system.
- recommended for children over 18 years of age;
- great load on the urinary system.
Tablet preparation of the manufacturer Gedeon Richter (Russian Federation).
Muscle relaxant of central action. The main active ingredient is tolperisone hydrochloride, it has high activity towards nerve endings and inhibition in the spinal reflex arcs. It reaches its highest concentration in the spinal cord and central nervous system.
Indications for use include:
- spasticity of the body after a stroke;
- relief of painful muscle spasm in diseases of the musculoskeletal system (arthrosis of the joints, lumbago, spondylosis);
- Cerebral palsy in a child;
- encephalopathy with signs of muscular dystonia;
- relieving jaw spasms.
Contraindicated in children under three years of age, pregnant women and women who are breastfeeding, persons with sensitivity to the drug.
Medicines are produced in the form of tablets with a round film shell with a dual-convex shape. On one side there is an engraving 150. When broken, the tablets are white and have a slight characteristic odor.
The recommended dose is 450 mg. It must be divided into several steps.
It is prescribed for osteochondrosis to relieve spasm in the neck and back.
Produced in a cardboard box with 3 blisters, 10 pcs. Each.
The price is 423 rubles.
- fast action of the drug;
- frees the pinched nerve;
- improves the motor function of the spine;
- relieves spasms of the back and neck;
- reduces muscle tone.
- disorders of the skin;
- general gastrointestinal upset;
- disorders associated with the nervous system.
Centrally acting muscle relaxant Sirdalud (country of origin: Turkey), relieves pain spasms, has analgesic action, which leads patients to quick improved health results. Increases the motor function of the affected segment of the spine, facilitates restorative manual therapy or massage.
The tablets are very effective for acute spasms and chronic spasms of the back muscles. It not only relieves pain, but also increases the force of voluntary contractions of the striated muscle muscles.
It is not necessary to take Sirdalud and diuretics at the same time, since severe bradycardia or arterial hypertension may develop. The drug is prescribed with caution to children and older people.
Sirdalud is not intended for independent treatment without the appointment and supervision of a doctor.
The main substance is tizanidine hydrochloride.
Tablets are prescribed if muscle cramps occur:
- associated with diseases of the cervico-lumbar spine;
- after surgical operation of herniated disc, osteoarthritis of the hip joints.
Spasticity of the skeletal muscles in the disease of the neurological history:
- multiple sclerosis, myelopathy, degenerative diseases of the spinal cord;
- violation of cerebral circulation;
- consequences of cerebral palsy in patients over 18 years of age.
The medicine has side effects associated with constant drowsiness, confusion, deterioration in concentration, dry mouth, and vomiting.
Tablets are available in 4 mg in an amount of 30 pieces of white color. They have a round, flattened shape and beveled edges. One of the parties has a risk code “OZ”.
The price is 228 rubles.
- ideal for treating pain and spasms;
- has a broad effect on motor neurons;
- stops back pain with osteochondrosis;
- reduces the tone of skeletal muscles;
- helps relieve leg cramps;
- has a high performance in patients working in offices.
- a large number of side effects.
Tolperisone-obl, manufactured by the Obolensk Pharmaceutical Enterprise (Ukraine), is a centrally acting muscle relaxant. It is caused by inhibition of the passage of impulses of primary afferent fibers, motor neurons, which leads to blocking of spinal reflexes and increased peripheral blood flow. The likelihood of developing a sedative effect from the use of the medication is weak.
Used as a symptomatic treatment of spasms in adult patients after strokes, spinal and cerebral palsy, diseases with dystonia, rigidity, muscle spasm, obliterating arterial diseases.
It has a high effect of use in infantile spastic paralysis (Litt's disease), epileptic syndrome, trophic ulcers, encephalopathies of vascular origin.
When taken, the tablets are perfectly absorbed in the small intestine, undergo intensive metabolism in the liver and kidneys. The drug is 99% excreted from the body.
Has side effects associated with high hypersensitivity, expressed as a mild skin reaction and severe systemic reaction, up to anaphylactic shock.
During treatment, symptoms of allergies associated with rashes, itching, urticaria, angioedema, tachycardia, arterial hypotension, shortness of breath may appear.
The medicine is taken after meals with plenty of water, 150-450 mg per day. The dose is divided into three doses.
Release form in tablets, film-coated, 50 mg or 150 mg No. 10 × 3 in blisters, placed in a cardboard box.
The price for 30 pieces is 280 rubles.
the duration of the course of treatment for each patient is individual
- effective drug;
- budgetary cost;
- a wide range of actions.
- negatively affects the reaction rate, caution should be exercised when driving;
- has extensive contraindications.
In this review, individual muscle relaxants are provided, which, according to patients, have a high rating of popularity and effectiveness in the treatment of spasmodic pain in the back, neck, jaw.
You can buy them in pharmacies in the city or place an order via the Internet at well-known, proven pharmaceutical companies.
We tried to show the best medicines that have proven themselves excellent, provided a budget price segment and pointed out the main advantages and disadvantages of the drugs. We hope this will help you make the right choice.
The editors of the site "best-en.designuspro.com" wish you good health and will be grateful for the feedback and comments on the medicines presented in our review.